Monday, May 17, 2010

Going Home to Ohio

Well we had an eventful trip home it all started Tuesday May 11. When we awoke it was sunny and warm in Apache Junction and we had breakfast and said our goodbyes. I heard there was a possibility of running into wind but decided to go anyway so off we went. We arrived in Holbrook Az. And here was a thick cloud of dust in the air so the thought of staying in Holbrook was no longer an option. The wind was 50 to 60 mph. from the west and we were heading east on RT40 so the wind was at our back and pushed us most of the time as long we were heading east or northeast but when the road turned to the south all hell broke loose. When I went under a bridge the wind would ease up and the RV would drift to the right when we came out the other side the wind would push us over to the other lane. Along the way we saw an 18 wheeler that was blown over on its side the police were just arriving to the scene. We entered into New Mexico and stopped at the visitor center for a map of the state which we do at every visitor center. The wind was blowing 60-70 sustained and I had to cover my face because it felt like I was being sandblasted. We arrived at the Albuquerque Elks lodge for the night and when I exited the RV I was sick, it was covered with dust and I just spent a week cleaning it for the trip home. Wednesday we traveled 450 miles to Elk City Oklahoma. It was a nice trip but in the 50 miles it started to get windy again. We arrived at the Elks lodge and set up, had some dinner and I went into the lodge to have a cocktail. Well they had the weather on and a large storm was heading our way. The storm was getting stronger as it got closer. Some guy in the bar said I should move the RV next to the building on the lee side and that is what we did. Buffy and I made it back into the Elks lodge just in time, it started to hail but the hail was small. In the area they were reporting baseball size hail, then the rain and wind came and they were reporting a tornado was heading our way. We think it went right over our heads. After the storm let up we went out to the rig to find that it was now clean and no damage was evident. The bugs were even cleaned off the windshield so we drove back to our spot and setup for the night. We were woke up several times with strong winds and some hard rain but nothing like what we just went through. We sat there Thursday and let the storms leave the area before hitting the road again.


When we started driving again and the weather was nice, we drove about 100 miles to Oklahoma City and that is where it started, rain, rain and more rain it rained hard the rest of the way home it rained Thursday, it rained Friday, it rained Saturday, and yes it RAINED on Sunday also. The forecast for home is RAIN, RAIN and more rain, yep now I remember why I like Arizona so much.

OK we made it safe and sound, for those of you that know Ohio we are staying on RT6 near St Dennis golf coarse. The name is Wilder Mobile Home park.








No comments:

Post a Comment